Honourable Boye Laryea, the Municipal Chief Executive of Okaikwei North Municipal Assembly (ONMA) says the Assembly is set to change the narrative where domestic pipe lines supplying water for households have been laid through gutters in the Municipality.
Describing the situation as alarming and a fertile ground for the outbreak of disease like cholera and typhoid fever, the MCE said the phenomena must change to save the lives of the many unsuspecting families.
Speaking to journalists after over a four-hour Municipality-wide clean-up exercise in Accra on Saturday, Mr. Laryea stated the problem persists because spaces allocated for laying of these domestic pipe lines have been occupied by metal containers and kiosks.
The exercise is part of an elaborate plan to rid the municipality of filth as the Assembly climaxes programmes and activities marking its third anniversary since its establishment.
Under the theme: “Partnering the Community For A Clean And Green ONMA”, the cleanup exercise was held simultaneously in all eleven Electoral Areas in the municipality with contribution from some residents in the community.
At Abeka, Blemagor, Achimota and Akweteyman, all suburbs in the Municipality, the respective Assemblymen and their team were spotted busily desilting the gutters with staff from Professional City Waste Managers, Metropolitan Waste Management Limited and Zoomlion compact trucks on site clearing the refuse.
For his part, the Municipal Environment Health Officer, Mr. Boniface Asharlley said he expects the Municipality to be clean after the exercise and that sanitation is a shared responsibility for all citizens.
He noted that the residents must continue the exercise indicating that the gesture must not be a one off event where the citizenry will revert to life as usual.
Mr. Asharlley disclosed that the Assembly spends so much on sanitization indicating that ONMA collects about 80 percent of the refuse generated in the municipality monthly through door-to-door and central container collection system with the remaining 20 percent finding its way into drains, open spaces and public spaces.
The ONMA Environment Health Officer was however, quick to add that the Assembly collects the 20 per cent of the refuse through cleanup exercises.
Mr. Laryea is expected to commission an ICT Centre at Fadama on Monday July 26, 2021 and later on host a picture exhibition and documentary show to tell the success story of the Assembly.